Saturday, March 5, 2011

THE LIE OF AN ATHEIST (NOT WHAT YOU MIGHT THINK)

A long time ago I read a short story (written, I think, by Graham Greene towards the end of his life) concerning a fictitious famous French Catholic novelist.

In his old age the novelist is still a regular Mass attender, but admits to a journalist that he has lost his Faith. When asked why he still goes to Mass, he explains that many of his readers have returned to the Church, influenced by his books. He keeps up the pretence of belief, so they will not lose their Faith through him.

When I was at University, a (privately) atheist philosophy Fellow of my college was a regular church-goer (Anglican) with his wife and chidren from whom he kept his disbelief secret. He explained that loss of religious faith was the greatest tragedy that could befall anyone.

Did these two men, the first fictional, the second very real, sin by lying?

Would Jesus condemn the novelist for his charitable lie?

Will He condemn the philosopher for his untruth, ignoring the matter of his being an atheist, or will He accept him for his kindness?

Can we believe that God is less charitable than we are?

4 comments:

Richard Collins said...

Spot on.This debate over lying reminds me of 'spirit of the law and letter of the law'. I am very much in the former camp.

Patrick Button said...

I have only read one Greene novel, A Burnt Out Case, but I really enjoyed it. As for lying, I have mixed feelings about the debate but keep in mind that the Magisterium has a lot more authority than the Sanhedrin.

Patrick Button said...

What I meant by the comparison between the Sanhedrin and the Magisterium is a reference to the accusations that critics of Live Action are Pharisaical legalists.

TTC said...

There you go making trouble about lying!!!

I share the pain. After sitting through dissent and clown liturgies there was a time I struggled with going to Mass. To avoid scandalizing my children or readers or friends, work colleagues - I did not pony up. Other times, people were suffering from the same inability to sit through the tripe - and I said what needed to be said to them about the Sacraments knowing I was struggling myself.

As far as I'm concerned it is a check in the good column because it's avoiding killing another's spirit.

As for the athiest - I'm not buying he had conviction of the heart. My Jesus Mercy.