I can only say that I am astonished and somewhat terrified at the result of this evening's experiments: astonished at the wonderful power you have developed, and terrified at the thought that so much hideous and bad music may be put on record forever. But all the same I think it is the most wonderful thing that I have ever experienced, and I congratulate you with all my heart on this wonderful discovery.
Sir Arthur Sullivan, on hearing his song "The Lost Chord" recorded on Edison's "Improved Phonograph" on the fourth of October 1888.
Prophetic words.
Leo’s Tea-For-Two “Law Of Attraction”
-
Some day, I think that this guy is just really, really dumb. But then I
reflect that first, nobody can be that dumb, and second, that he must have
had, dur...
1 week ago
2 comments:
Strangely I was quoting some of his other prophetic words on twitter the other day. We were discussing the idiocy of trying to award everyone in the country a degree, and the underlying thinking that graduates earn more, therefore if everyone is a graduate...
So of course his wise words came to mind:
The end is easily foretold,
When every blessed thing you hold
Is made of silver, or of gold,
You long for simple pewter.
When you have nothing else to wear
But cloth of gold and satins rare,
For cloth of gold you cease to care —
Up goes the price of shoddy.
Except, of course, I am quoting his partner in crime, W. S. Gilbert...
Post a Comment