Friday, August 27, 2010

Religious Intolerance - HUH!

(Thanks to Love in the Ruins for the lead to this story.)

So Dorota Rabczewska, a young Polish singer, will be prosecuted in Poland for insulting religious feeling. Please note, 'religious feeling', and not 'the Catholic Church'.

She said, silly girl, that the Bible was written by drunks and people who liked herbal cigarettes.

If this is not insulting, what is?

If I chose, as a resident in Poland, to insult the religious feelings of Catholics, Jews, Muslims (Tatars have been here for over 600 years) or Protestants, I would, rightly, face the same treatment.

I am a Catholic. If someone came into my house and insulted my God, my Church, my Saints, or my Scriptures, I would, as my strength permitted, ....you can use your imagination.

Have a nice day!

2 comments:

Bad Catholic said...

I have written a strongly worded dissent to your comments over at LOVE IN THE RUINS.

In so many words, I said that as a Freedom Loving American and an Attorney, I am 100% opposed to any curtailment of Freedom of Speech, especially religious and political speech.

Ms. Doda should have an absolute right to be an Atheist, Agnostic or anything else she wants to be and be able to say it in public regardless of who it insults.

It strikes this old American Criminal Defense Lawyer as dangerous for the Government to be able to silence anybody because someone is insulted.

This is the same argument which is being used to justify prosecutions of Christians and others for "hate speech" for saying that homosexuality is a sin. Or the attempt to ban crucifixes in classrooms in Italy.

It goes both ways. As I said in my response to your comments, I may disagree with Doda and think that she is an ignorant publicity hound who should stick to entertainment, but I would Fight to protect her right to express her opinion regardless of who is insulted.

Left-footer said...

Thank you, Bad Catholic. Don't like calling you that!

I have replied at Love in the Ruins.