Thursday, October 28, 2010

A VERY THEORETICAL MORAL QUESTION

In the days before global villagism, there was a tired old moral question expressed thus:

If there was a button on your desk, and every time you pressed it, you would be a million pounds richer, and someone would die in far-away China, how often would you press the button?

I've never found money very interesting, but change the results a little, and my ears do indeed prick up.

If I had a button on my desk, and every time I pressed it a child would be saved from abortion, and lightning would strike and kill an abortionist, or pro-abortion legislator, or facilitator, or vociferous and effectual promoter, or someone who legislates or agitates to forcibly teach my grandchildren the rightness of intrinsically immoral acts, then what would I do?

And what would you do?

4 comments:

Chris Hall said...

Hmm, perhaps the two options don't have an equivalence?

First one equates life with money and to get the money someone dies.

The second one someone dies whatever option you choose.

I would rewrite the question!

Left-footer said...

Thanks, Chris. Sorry, I am no philosopher.

However the first question is merely by way of a template, and I deliberately chose for the second scenario a choice between a life and a life, raising the question of whether a Christian should be prepared to kill an aggressor to save an 'innocent' life.

My answer would be 'yes' every time for I am no passive resister. I guess this is an unfashionable view.

Maureen said...

However the "agressor" in reality is the woman who chooses to terminate the pregnancy!

Left-footer said...

Maureen, perhaps many women are under such pressure from interested parties that they, too, are victims?

I'm thinking of the abortion businessmen and women, doctors, teachers, social workers...