Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Burns's Prayer in the Prospect of Death


Hardly good Catholic theology to blame God for one's sins and weaknesses, but a touching 
poem.


O Thou unknown, Almighty Cause
      Of all my hope and fear,
    In whose dread presence, ere an hour
      Perhaps I must appear!

    If I have wander'd in those paths
      Of life I ought to shun;
    As something, loudly, in my breast,
      Remonstrates I have done;

    Thou know'st that Thou hast formed me,
      With passions wild and strong;
    And list'ning to their witching voice
      Has often led me wrong.

    Where human weakness has come short,
      Or frailty stept aside,
    Do Thou, All-Good! for such thou art,
      In shades of darkness hide.

    Where with intention I have err'd,
      No other plea I have,
    But, Thou art good; and goodness still
      Delighteth to forgive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The black background makes for difficult reading, and it would be a great pity to miss what you write.
Best wishes

Left-footer said...

EF pastor emeritus - Thank you for your kind comment and best wishes to you too.

I will do something about this problem - I hope today.