Friday, May 13, 2011

Why the aversion to SPUC?

There seems to be an aversion amongst some Catholics to SPUC and John Smeaton.

Does anyone have any idea why?

9 comments:

Brian H. Gill said...

So much depends of what SPUC means.

Brian H. Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian H. Gill said...

A little digging, and I found http://www.spuc.org.uk/ - Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, 3 Whitacre Mews, Stannary Street, London.

Odds are that someone with an answer to your question would be familiar with the acronym SPUC. Just like "mindot" is Minnesotan for "Minnesota Department of Transportation:" but probably unfamiliar to most Londoners.

There, I think this post is 'legible,' and typo-free. But I could be wrong.

Left-footer said...

Brian - Sorry to cause so much trouble. Society for the Protection of Unborn Children is the one. They seem unpopular on Twitter, and "Catholic Voices" posted against them, but pulled the post later.

Hmmm...

Richard Collins said...

No idea.....except that many modern Catholics passively support abortion and SPUC may strike at their consciences.

Jay said...

Perhaps some Catholics have an aversion to John Smeaton, director of SPUC, because he recently called out Jack Valero and Chris Morgan of "Catholic Voices" to their comments of homosexuality and the Church's teachings.

Read Smeaton's blog entry on the subject:

http://spuc-director.blogspot.com/2011/05/catholic-voices-are-undermining.html

Anonymous said...

When I first began to follow Twitter, I did notice that SPUC was discounted by some. It may have to do with the fact that Mr Smeaton tends to be rather Right and many discounters tend to be of the Left--have never asked the 'discounters' directly.

Here in the US, some people disdain certain pro-life groups because they are perceived to be too beholden to the GOP or because of an insistence on one specific political goal etc etc.

Gregg said...

I suspect it's because SPUC are seen as too purist/orthodox by many, especially more liberal catholics.

Left-footer said...

Many thanks to all of you.

This post was a rather rhetorical question, because I think, as you all seem to, that it is John Smeaton's 'extremism' (which I, by the way, completely share), which makes him unpopular with the deeper, more thinking, more nuancing Catholics, who are way above my humble grovelling bigotry.

I greatly admire SPUC, because they are prepared to speak the unpopular, untrendy truth, and to endure the sneers of the more 'enlightened'.

God bless!