I have a problem, for me a very sad problem, in which I may not be alone. I would love to be a patriot, but find it impossible to be a patriotic Englishman or Britisher. The landscape of Britain is beautiful and still has many of the lovely buildings built by our forefathers, but since 1967 and the abortion act I have not been able to recognise the land of my legal nationality as the country my fathers fought for, and sometimes died for.
Since then, thanks to Harold Wilson, Margaret Thatcher, and their progressively dingy successors, Britain has become a byword for I know not what - certainly little that is good. For me, Gladstone, Churchill, and Macmillan were the last decent Prime Ministers.
Living in patriotic Poland as a very patriotic pseudo-Polak, I greatly enjoy her war films, for example Ogniem i Mieczem (with Fire and the Sword) directed by Jerzy Hoffman. Here is a short clip, with a magnificent Ukrainian song Hej Sokołe! sung frequently in Poland. And in this clip , you can see the steel wings worn by the Polish cavalrymen, which terrified the Turks at Vienna, who thought they were being attacked by angels. If you get a chance to see the film, it is full of fantazja ułańska.
Out Of Don Milani’s Pig’s Mouth, Or: Defence of The “Marginalised” Is The
Best Indication Of Sexual Perversion.
-
The lurid translations of that big, fat, lurid pig called Don Milani are
here. I have read the Italian version and can assure you the translations
are actu...
14 hours ago
5 comments:
1--I would never, ever, like to be on the wrong side of polish Uhlanni!
2--Dude--as an American, I love my country, and our peoples. But I am ashamed, appalled and afraid of my government, and the actions of those in positions of influence and power since 1972.
Despite Culture and Geography, we are exiles together, even though I'm still physically in America.
As an American I am proud of my country but the government sucks so bad, especially since Obama has been in office. The man is a dictator wannabe. He irks me to no end.
Reach for the Sky. The Wooden Horse. The Great Escape. The Railway Children.
If you abandon it you won't change it. If you challenge it with what it was and could be instead of what it is you might change it.
Rex Quondam Et Futurus ... ?
Thank you all. As you are too polite to point out, I am something of a deserter, although my purpose in leaving England was to work and make myself useful, rather than be yet another escaping rat.
Ttony is right, except that I am rather too old for any serious kind of challenge to the stupidity prevalent in western society.
I must think, and perhaps post again on this subject, but in more detail.
God bless!
I can sympathize Footer,..as a Canadian,.I used to be proud, but especially the way things have been going,..Remember I'm also from Quebec, at one time the jewel of North American Catholcism,..sad...
Post a Comment