Sunday, September 5, 2010

OK, MAYBE I'M THICK, BUT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW

1 Is it a truth that, as we pray, so we believe (lex orendi lex credendi)?

2 If it isn't true, why did those early, headstrong, bigoted, un-nuancing, bloody-minded Christians choose death rather than burn a pinch of incense on Caesar's altar?

3 If it is true, how would Archbishop Nichols explain, or nuance, the flowers he laid on a Hindu altar in Willesden?

4 Is the Pope infallible when he speaks ex cathedra on matters of Faith and morals?

4 If he isn't infallible, and the doctrines and dogmas of the Catholic Church are a bit, shall we say, dodgy in places, will I still get to Heaven (if there is one) if I start my own church of Diogenes (no, not the Saint) and retire to a sunny barrel somewhere? (Yes, I know what he did in the barrel)

5 If he is, Why don't you rejecters of infallible Papal teaching go and...found you own church of saint Diogenes and.....?

6 I know there are groups for Catholic homosexuals, homosexualists, leathermen (in San Francisco, apparently ok'd by the Jesuits), for Catholics supporting female ordination, and so on.

What I want to know is: is there a group for lazy Catholics like me who don't want to have to go to Mass and all that boring stuff?

7 If not, isn't it time I started one? Isn't it time, that the Church, as Tony Blair said, caught up with what the people in the pew really believe?

8 If there is such a group, what does Vincent Nichols have to say about it.

7 comments:

jangojingo said...

A great thought challenging post. My thick responses :)

3) Perhaps the Arch would say he is respecting all that is good within the Hindu religion (as I would and all people of goodwill), the silence is deafening from the Arch on what is not good i.e. polytheism.

4) Beware (I thickly think!) of creeping infallibility with respect to "ex cathedra". The Pope "ex cathedra" has only happened a few times i.e. The Immaculate Conception and The Assumption. The infallibility of our Church is expressed by the Magesterium. But I guess you know that I mean.

6) If there is a group for lazy Catholics I think I would fit in very well. The reality is very different in One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church coz you have to be calm but vigilant (enemy creeping around like a roaring lion looking for someone to eat) and keep that darn candle burning coz you just do not know when the Master is returning.

7) Hmmmm, I will just stick to the faith of my fathers in case Mr. Blair has it wrong!
Pax, Paul

Teresa said...

1)After looking up lex orendi lex credendi (for the first time so please bear with me), it seems to me that the saying is referring to the Church and how the Church's faith precedes that of the believers. The believer is invited to adhere to the Church's faith but whether as humans we truly believe what we pray would depend on the person, I guess. But, yes, as faithful Catholics or in order to be faithful Catholics we have an obligation to believe in lex orendi lex credendi.

2) Well, we are fighting the culture wars today and there are those Catholic dissenters that have been led astray themselves, are leading others astray, and unfortunately working against the Church to try and change it into something its not. Those "bigoted" Christians adhered to their faith and fought against evil while our Christians today tend to wane and give into the temptations of evils.

3) Yes, the Pope is infallible when speaking ex cathdra on matters of faith and morals.

4)These people want to ruin and change all of our lives instead of just their own lives. Plus, that would make sense, and these dissenters usually don't adhere to common sense principles.

5) I'd be joining the group for lazy Catholics if there ever was such a group. Maybe, we could have priests do home visits? Or drive-in Masses? LOL!
6) Tony Blair seems like one of those imitation Catholics or dissenters that want to radically change the Church so I'll stick with the faith which was passed down from Jesus to his apostles and so on...

God Bless!


2)

Left-footer said...

Paul: Thank you!

3 The Arch is a good bloke and a diamond geezer - of that I have no doubt, and I would trust him with my spoons or my money, but not with my doctrine.

Respecting differently persuaded (Hah!) people is one thing. Paying any kind of homage to their gods is another, bad, thing.

4 Yup, I'm with you on this, but we all (I too) need to be careful about how what we say and do is perceived by others, and be 100% obedient to Church teaching, and therefore ourselves, in belief and practice, "infallible".

I needed a rant, hence the blog. God bless!

Left-footer said...

Teresa: Thank you. I had to check the spelling of the Latin, which I had not read for years.

5) Father Z, tongue in cheek, has suggested that in the near future, Priests might post (mail) unconsecrated hosts to lazy believers, who could then press them to their TV screens while watching the Consecration during televised Masses.

Harrumph!

God bless!

Optimusmastro said...

Lex orendi, lex credendi, yup that about sums it all up!! I like what you said about you needing a rant,..therapeutic, isn't it?!? Great post,..keep'em up!

-M

Paulinus said...

Cracking post.

No. You're not thick.

Brian H. Gill said...

About point #7: I'm reminded of the old joke about the Procrastinators' Club. They never met, because the first meeting kept getting delayed.