As a very small, insignificant, oldish, impotently angry, would-be-good Catholic, I am terrified by the madness which has engulfed the world I once thought I knew. In this I know that I am not alone.
Rage and satire can be powerful weapons against a rational enemy who is equipped to subject his own acts and opinions to reasonable scrutiny. However, we are now faced by an irrational enemy against whom such weapons are virtually powerless.
What should we, or more to the point, I, do?
Not, certainly not, accept defeat as I have been tempted to do and, like a petrified rabbit, wait to be devoured. That is sheer animal cowardice, and I confess freely to having often been guilty of it.
The enemy are big, powerful, and morally stupid. We Catholic bloggers have one advantage over them: thanks to the Holy Spirit, if we follow His promptings and His Church, we have the Truth, and we must not cease from proclaiming it in the face of ridicule, indifference, state oppression, the treason of our own clergy, or sheer world-weariness.
Chesterton, too, lived in a moral madhouse. Cleverly, wittily, eloquently, he never surrendered his weapons to the enemy.
I, we, with but a shadow of his talents, weary and stale as we may often feel, must also never give up.
As the slogan went in my childhood, "Don't you know there's a war on?"
This is no time to surrender and hang up our keyboards.
Bash on regardless!
Bow Down And Obey, Peasants!
-
Remember last year, when the extremely large Cardinal Burke, who at that
time was still able to physically enter St Peter, celebrated a Pontifical
Mass? Th...
6 hours ago
5 comments:
I'm not sure I know *how* to stop. Like the fellow said, "I have not yet begun to post!"
No, that's not quite it. (http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/trivia02a.htm)
About the "irrational enemy:" I stopped trying to convince zealots, secular or religious, decades back.
Happily, the Internet and related media broke the power of traditional information gatekeepers. Even (or especially) liberals seem appalled at recent American Congress attempts to stifle free speech online.
The "irrational enemy" may not recognize facts and logic: but I suspect that everybody else can.
I posted about this on Friday: "Freedom of Speech: Bothersome, but Valuable.
(That's shameless self-promotion, if I ever saw it.)
Hear, hear!
I believe the crisis of widespread heresy/mass apostasy currently underway is comparable to, if not worse than, the Arian crisis of the fourth century.
Brian - fine post which I have tweeted and linked to in my next post. Will facebook it next.
TH2 - we are absolutrly of one mind on this, as usual.
God bless you both!
Thank you.
Post a Comment