From Richard at Linen on the Hedgerow , a fine post about those busy folk who welcome people to Mass.
I think I like them even less than he does. They intrude unneccesarily, since:
1. I know that Jesus, as the Host (pun intended) welcomes me. I do not need any glad-handing from anyone.
2. The Mass is about God, not about being chummy. I go to Mass to meet God, not people.
3. I play flute, saxophone and violin. I have mildly arthritic fingers which I will not subject to maltreatment from some beaming knuckle-cruncher who wants to demonstrate his manly grip.
4. Said knuckle-cruncher has probably not washed his hands after going to the lavatory, reaming wax out of his ears, or whatever.
If I seem rather nasty, please remember that not so long ago in England, though not in the U.S.A., my attitude would have been considered perfectly normal.
Out Of Don Milani’s Pig’s Mouth, Or: Defence of The “Marginalised” Is The
Best Indication Of Sexual Perversion.
-
The lurid translations of that big, fat, lurid pig called Don Milani are
here. I have read the Italian version and can assure you the translations
are actu...
14 hours ago
2 comments:
I totally agree with you! And I remember a writer in the Catholic Herald saying something similar.
Returning to Mass attendance was difficult enough for me; it had been so long since I'd been, I felt incredibly self-conscious conspicuous. If I thought that somebody was going to pounce on me as soon as I stepped into the porch, it would have been more difficult still.
Maolsheachlann - good point. The embarrassment factor is a big one for me too.
Post a Comment