Voices From Russia has an interesting post, with photographs, about a paradrop Russian Orthodox Church. The author, Varvara, writes'
Official sources told us that, since last fall, the number of Orthodox Christians in the VDV (Airborne Forces) grew 10 percent to reach 90 percent of all paratroopers.
What is the Orthodox getting right, which the Catholic Church is getting less right?
Out Of Don Milani’s Pig’s Mouth, Or: Defence of The “Marginalised” Is The
Best Indication Of Sexual Perversion.
-
The lurid translations of that big, fat, lurid pig called Don Milani are
here. I have read the Italian version and can assure you the translations
are actu...
14 hours ago
4 comments:
Sorry to appear so cynical (and to come nowhere near giving a complete answer - as there are positive points to be made too), but the short answer is: in part, embracing nationalism and adulation of the state, in both cases often beyond what is warranted or admirable.
I suspect that you are right, though I remember back in the sixties an Anglican chaplain returning from a visit to the USSR who spoke with amazement of packed Churches and Cathedrals.
I guess that in Russia, as I know in Poland, nationality and religion are very much intertwined. The big question perhaps, is in your words, "What is warranted or admirable".
Any further thoughts? God bless!
Mary Kenny wrote once about how in the 30s, you only saw old ladies in Church in the USSR, and in the 50s and 70s as well, and realised that nearly everybody was Orthodox but that only the babushkas actually went to Church. In Poland they didn't even bother not going themselves. You need persecution to understand how deeply you believe in things, whether you are prepared to offer incense to false gods.
Ttony - or offer flowers on heathen altars in Willesden.
Post a Comment