In the combox on my recent post http://left-footer.blogspot.com/2011/01/just-out-of-hospital-had-my-feminine.html?showComment=1296135261950#c3008232919866284614, love the girls asked:
"Left Footer writes : "Feminine sides are not much appreciated here in rural Poland (except in women). . . Men are expected to be men"
Wondering. The same could be said of rural America, but it would be misleading because while the men give that appearance, they're actually wimps who let their disordered appetite rule them. Where degrade debauchery is mistaken for manliness.
It's the Betty Lou at the pool hall principle of being true to one's self. Which in turn means giving into lust or what ever other appetite strikes one's fancy.
Are rural Polish men manly? or just a variation of the rural American men who grovel in their womanish appetites?"
Having been here less than six years, I don't claim to be an expert on the Polish charatcter, either male or female. I know very little of the American character, except that I have met only one American out of many, a Californian new-ager, whom I did not like.
The typical Polish household is a matriarchy. Polish women whom I've met are characteristically strong-willed, and gently, firmly, seductively, wittily rule the home. This, for me, is good and natural.
I would not describe Polish men as weak, feminine, or ruled by their appetites. The satisfaction, within bounds, of a healthy appeteite is, I think, healthy, legitimate, and Chestertonian. Polish men eat and drink well. A half litre of vodka, plus the odd beer, in an evening, is normal, but I have seen only one Pole actually drunk. He remained a perfect gentleman throughout.
There is, for me, nothing unmanly about the nation which toppled communism via Solidarność, Pope John Paul II, and the Martyr Jerzy Popiełuszko; who fought so heroically in the streets of Warsaw during the Uprising of 1944; who, at the risk of execution and torture at German hands, took into their homes Jewish children, and forged Birth and Baptismal Cerificates for them. Go into a rural Catholic Church in Poland and count the Jewish faces. Thank God, sometimes 30 - 40 percent.
Polish pilots of the 303 Squadron fought in the Battle of Britain in 1940, and percentage-wise, brought down more German planes, lost fewer planes, and had fewer mechanics than their British comrades in arms. Don't believe me - read Norman Davis 'Rising 44'.
They are on the whole, very hard-working, unboastful, modest, quiet, kindly, deeply Catholic, hospitable - I could go on and on, boring the pants of everyone. I won't.
Leo’s Tea-For-Two “Law Of Attraction”
-
Some day, I think that this guy is just really, really dumb. But then I
reflect that first, nobody can be that dumb, and second, that he must have
had, dur...
1 week ago
3 comments:
Here in the US of A rural folks tend to be more conservative and God fearing than their urban counterparts. Sure it's a stereotype but in my experience it is pretty accurate.
I've always thought that the Poles are pretty BA for the reasons you enumerated.
In case "BA" gets lost in cultural translation, I mean to say that the Poles are some awesome dudes.
"Here in the US of A rural folks tend to be more conservative and God fearing than their urban counterparts."
Perhaps, but that wouldn't change the observation of their womanish groveling, only that they do it less so. But then "urban counterparts" are not typically referred to as manly and the like, so the issue in this context wouldn't come up.
Further, from having spent my life in construction, (I'm a very good carpenter by experience), along with the few odd jobs here and there such as drilling offshore in the gulf or working in a rural paper mill in Arkansas and the like. My experience is that Conservative and God fearing is a myth, and at the least takes the back seat when Betty Lou is amiable to hopping in the front.
Post a Comment