Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pope Benedict XVI on Saint Joan of Arc and a Question for Pacifists.

Catholic Pacifists, on the face of it, might seem to have a point when they quote the following:

 
John Paul II, Encyclical Letter "Veritatis splendor," n. 75-77).

An action which is objectively evil, even if a lesser evil, can never be licitly willed against an aggressor.

Clearly, the example of Saint Joan shows that the killing of another human being is not objectively evil, if the act is performed in self-defence against an aggressor, or in defence of another or others against an aggressor, or in the service of one's country in a just war. As The Holy Father said today, in a general Audience in Pope VI Hall:


"The Name of Jesus invoked by this Saint in the last instants of her earthly life was as the continual breath of her soul, ... the centre of her entire life", the Holy Father explained. "This saint understood that Love embraces all things of God and man, of heaven and earth, of the Church and the world. ... Liberating her people was an act of human justice, which Joan performed in charity, for love of Jesus, hers is a beautiful example of sanctity for lay people involved in political life, especially in the most difficult situations.

"Joan saw in Jesus all the reality of the Church, the 'Church triumphant' in heaven and the 'Church militant' on earth. In her own words, 'Our Lord and the Church are one'. This affirmation ... takes on a truly heroic aspect in the context of the trial, in the face of her judges, men of the Church who persecuted and condemned her.
 "With her shining witness St. Joan of Arc invites us to the highest degree of Christian life, making prayer the motif of our days, having complete trust in achieving the will of God whatever it may be, living in charity without favouritisms or limitations, and finding in the Love of Jesus, as she did, a profound love for His Church."


Nowhere does His Holiness express regret at the English "illicitly" killed by Saint Joan or her army. He even goes as far as to say that "liberating her people was an act of human justice".


Whether one can justify, for example, a pre-emptive strike (nuclear or not) againt a pseudo-theocracy or future hitlerist-governed country possessing or developing nuclear weapons is beyond the grasp of this humble, untheological Left-footer to determine.

Or is it licit for an old, puny person, armed with a sword or gun to kill a stronger person in order to save the life or innocence of a woman, or child, or indeed any victim of unjust aggression?


In both cases, my first, unChristian gut reaction is to say I'd do it.

I think to defend the innocent, as a last resort, I would.

As to the nuclear situation, I just don't know.

4 comments:

love the girls said...

And given how you are using her, St. Joan of Arc could also be used to prove that its proper and good for women to be in combat.

Using Saints to prove a point is at best a dicey business because much of what they said and wrote is not why they are in heaven.

For instance, American Jansenist Catholics look amazingly reasonable compared to St. John Vianney and his comments on how the angels blush at the sight of a naked baby, and others of similar nature. He may have been able to read souls, but his intellectual understanding of fallen nature, paradise, and angels leaves much to be desired.

Pacifism is immoral, or at the very least unnatural, when it conflicts with duty, which where the rub always is. A father has a natural duty to protect his family. All other arguments flow from this duty.

Not using unjust means has nothing to do with self defense per se. Except that it to, just as with an other practical act, requires means to obtain the end intended. So that the means must be considered and just means used.

ignorant redneck said...

Well, I'm not a theologian, but the CCC says we have the right to protect ourselves, and the duty to protect others. let me put it in an unmistakably American way:

Rob my house, steal my stuff--it's not worth me being violent over. Touch my kids or grandkids, or the Queen of the House--just look like you might do that--and I will shoot you so full of holes that the coroner will blot you up with a sponge!

Love, I have never met an Amrican Jansenist Catholic--lots of active gay ones, and fornicators, and contraceptors, and wankers...but no jansenists

jangojingo said...

Chris,

Great post.

There are no easy answers. On a personal note, I would hope.........(many prayers) ....I could turn the other cheek because in this world is my only opportunity to change. But I would probably ....:)

Left-footer said...

Paul - I, too, would hope to act well and not, perhaps as I suggested.
,
In the light of this thought, and prayer, I am rewriting my last paragraph.

Thank you, and God bless.