Sunday, December 5, 2010

CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS V. TONY BLAIR: THE GREAT DEBATE

So they debated whether religion is a force for good in the world. Huh!

Are sharks a force for good in the world? As someone who is anything but a 'deep ecologist', I consider sharks, along with crocodiles, leprosy, tornados, HIV and streptococci a force for evil. They sometimes kill people. However, I don't stop believing in them. They manifestly exist. I believe, but I love them not. I wish they could be exterminated, if you can do that to a tornado.

So what does the verdict amount to? If as a Catholic, or Muslim, or whatever, I come to see that religion is a force for what other people do not regard as 'good', do I stop believing? If a deranged Pope ate a Cardinal, would I become an atheist?

Had the debate been about the truth of a particular religion, that would have been interesting, but well beyond the intellctual capabilities of Tony Blair. Those who could have carried it off are all dead. George Weigel maybe?

Your comments are more than welcome.

4 comments:

Brian H. Gill said...

Good point: that religious faith is (or should be) more than a matter of feeling good about some contemporary personality.

I'm not, however, entirely convinced that there is not a single person, among the world's 1,000,000,000-plus living Catholics, who is capable of successfully debating the truth of Catholicism.

Left-footer said...

No, nor am I - just my angry hyperbole and an uncharitable kick at Blair.

As Dr Findlay's housekeeper Janet said, "Noo, I'm not perfect. I do fall down on my Beatitudes."

The Bones said...

L'F, just found your blog. Will link it. My question is this. How could T Blair defend Faith, when he voted against his sacred Conscience so much in Parliament?

Left-footer said...

Lawrence England - an excellent question, how indeed?

I think Blair is greatly misunderstood, in that his decision to become a Catholic seems more a 'lifestyle choice' (ugh!) than a genuine conversion. He wants to be Catholic, but bucks the Magisterium when its pronouncements and doctrines to not sit well with his personal opinions or those of the superficial yappers who think he is worth listening to.

I have nothing but contempt for his views.