Caveat: this is an inquiry, not dogmatic assertion. I am no theologian. Please don't get angry.
Long ago I read somewhere that St Augustine said or wrote that the Blessed in Heaven wouls be allowed a pain-free visit to Hell to witness for themselves the Justice of God. I can nowhere find any reference to this, but the idea has stayed with me for 40 years.
Hell certainly terrifies me, sometimes to the point of insomnia, not as a horror film adddict is pleasantly scared, but as the prospect of nuclear war scared most people during the Cuban missile crisis: as a terrible possibility which we know will happen to some people at some future time.
It's been fashionable (and not necessarily incorrect) for a long time now to picture Hell as a state of denial of the Beatific Vision, with the inevitable terrible grief and longing which that state would entail. Such an unassuageable spiritual hunger and thirst is both imaginable and terrifying.
The older picture is of fire, ice, unspeakable filth, and tormenting devils, as depicted by St Alphonsus Liguori, and if we accept, as we must, the Resurrection of the Body, it seems that physical torment will be part of the punishment in Hell.
Polish friends assert that St Faustina was a universalist and believed that, ultimately, everyone will be saved. Julian of Norwich seems to be of the same mind, asserting that "all shall be well". If St Faustina was right, the suffering will be terrible, but only temporary, perhaps only a few million years. Some Poles say that the canonisation of St Faustina may have put the Church's seal of approval on universalism.
The questions that exercise my mind are:
1. Would you or I wish such horror on the worst person who ever lived? I have to admit that, as to people whose sufferings I would like to witness on a Heavenly excursion to Hell, I might have a little list. But then, I am an unworthy, nasty, angry man.
2. Does God will such horror?
3. If not, why does He not prevent it, and allow for the ultimate presence in Heaven of everyone, however wicked? Jesus said ,"Their fire is not quenched", and I suppose He meant that it will last forever.
4. If He does will it, should we not rejoice in His will, and so in the triumph of Divine Justice, and so in the existence of Hell?
And therefore, should we not look forward to such an excursion as a chance to further understand and rejoice in God's Perfect Justice?
Homosexuality, Padre Pio, And Great Uncle George.
-
There is, apparently, another fashionable VII priest who is doing very fine
in the US. A sort of Corapi 2.0, or, if you wish, a Barron pre-bishopric.
His n...
14 hours ago
6 comments:
"Should we not rejoice in His will, and so in the triumph of Divine Justice, and so in the existence of Hell?"
Well, yes, of course, but ...
If you are sufficiently in the mire to understand that your one chance is God's mercy, because you realise that what you really deserve is God's justice, the option of rejoicing in anyone else's suffering ends up looking a bit Pelagian.
The whole thing about every saved soul being allowed one get-out-of-jail-free visit to Hell sounds like a mediaeval superstition: a way of thinking about the reality of Hell, rather than a literal description of some sort of reality.
God has given us free will. If we choose to reject him, then God will have to respect that choice. Otherwise, it makes a mockery of the "fiat" of Our Lady, if you follow my drift...
If we all eventually get to heaven, then we ultimately do not have free will.
Ttony,
100% agree. His Majesty's mercy is my hope.
Thank you for your very wise comments. I agree with all of you. As a sinner I must, if only to get some sleep. However:
Ttony, if Hell is a just punishment, as it must be if God allows its perpetual existence, should we rejoice in its justice. I don't, but should I?
Mac McLernon, you are, of course, right about free will, but would anyone of sound mind choose Hell rather than Heaven? They might defer repentance until too late - like St Augustine's "make me chaste, but not yet", but would they at the moment of death consciously opt for Hell?
Paul, My only hope, too, is in the Good King. I do not for one second presume my own Salvation.
A favourite little poem by Chesterton, written before he became a Catholic:
The Skeleton
Chattering finch and waterfly
Are not merrier than I.
Here among the flowers I lie
Laughing everlastingly.
No, I my not tell the best!
Surely, Friend, you might have guessed -
Death was but the Good King's jest;
It was hid so carefully.
I just came across this post.
Hans Urs von Balthasar, one of Pope Benedict's favourite 20th century theologians, tended towards universalism, though as far as I'm aware the Pope has never commented directly on this aspect of Balthasar's work, which remains highly controversial.
Some of the most important Church Fathers tended towards universalism - notably Gregory of Nyssa and Isaac the Syrian.
For such writers the purpose of this present life is not so much to qualify for entry into heaven but to anticipate the life of heaven in the present life and to live this present life in a manner that is worthy of the future life to which we are called.
This remains a minority opinion among the Fathers, of course. Even Balthasar says that it's something that we can legitimately hope is true rather than something we could safely teach is true.
It carries with it the obvious danger of encouraging presumption and complacency among the faithful. It's clear from even a cursory reading of Isaac the Syrian that complacency is the last thing he wished to encourage...
Mark, thank you for your very helpful comment. I shall certainly follow it up by reading Gregory of Nyssa and Isaac the Syrian.
I am not enough of a theologian to tend towards Universalism, but I hope very much that no one will be lost.
Wishing you a very happy New Year - God bless.
Post a Comment