Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Odi Ergo Sum

I loathe:

The use of the word 'culture' to mean anything other than what Matthew Arnold meant by it.

Amoral or immoral fiction and verse.

The failure to understand that some Muslims, looking at sex-driven post-Christian Western society, want to destroy it. Their methods may be abominable, but I share their disgust and loathing.

'Traditionalism" which is obsessed with minutiae of Catholic ritual.

Fake bonhommie in Church from those who ignore me outside.

Being expected to shake hands at the Sign of Peace with knuckle-crunchers and nose-pickers. I won't.

Cool, awesome, wicked, fabulous, world-class, and other words whose meanings have been violated by cheapjack word-smiths.

Most newspapers.

The idea, promulgated by the Blairs and others too numerous to mention, that the Church must learn from modern 'thinking' and contribute to something worldly that is supposedly bigger than itself.

Slams down another vodka and shambles off to bed.

Dobranoc i miłych snów.

2 comments:

love the girls said...

Mathew Arnold "Culture is properly described as the love of perfection; it is a study of perfection."

No. Culture is properly social formation, where as love of perfection would be a rightly ordered appetite with study of perfection being an act of that appetite.

Left-footer said...

love the girls - Thank you for your comment. You are right, of course, but so am I, historically speaking.

I stick with Arnold's definition, because I know of no word to replace 'culture' in the Arnoldian sense.and have written further on this in my next but one post: 'Matthew Arnold - Culture and Anarchy'.

'Social formation is an excellent phrase, and does not have the weasel proclivities of 'culture' when used in your and the modern sense.