Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I AM AN ATHEIST (well, just for now...)

My name is Christopher Richard Hawker-Dawker and I am an atheist.

My 9 year old grandson, a cradle Catholic, who is spending the weekend with me, asks me, "Is there really a God, and was Jesus really his Son?"

So, now, all you Catholics who believe that telling the truth is an absolute duty, above saving life, innocence, virtue, honour, what do you say I should do?

1. Tell the truth as I believe it to be? Remember, I am very clever and persuasive, and he will believe me.  His Faith will have been destroyed forever.

2. Prevaricate? Rush for the lavatory? I cannot - I have my intellectual conscience to consider.

3. Say that some people think so, and some do not, leading to more questions? (see 1)

4. Lie, and tell your 'truth', which I know to be false, and leave his illusion intact, and my 'immoral soul' in your view, imperilled? (and see 2)

2 comments:

stopbeingstupid said...

I am no expert, but if I understand what moral theology I have read correctly, then Mr Hawker-Dawker would sin if he told what he thought to be a lie, even if it were true. He would not formally sin by telling what he believed to be the truth (thouygh it would still be a material sin and offensive to God).However, Mr Hawker-Dawker has already committed a sin if his ignorance of God's existence and His Self-Revelation is culpable and vincible.

But ask a theologian, or a priest.

Richard Collins said...

I am with you Christopher - you are not alone :)