Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tolerance

Tolerance is nothing more than cowardice resulting from lack of certainty of one's own convictions.

6 comments:

Richard Collins said...

Excellent definition!

Marco said...

Awesome!

stopbeingstupid said...

That is the bad kind of tolerance.

The good kind is continuing to love the sinner/ person in error, whilst hating sin and error.

Some people are intolerant of things which are not relevant to anything (e.g. skin colour) and this is bad.

Ttony said...

Tolerance can also be the fruit of the certainty of being God's agent. (It's what the closed-minded recipient would call "patronising".)

Left-footer said...

Richard & Marco - Thanks :)

sanabituranoma - agree with you completely about loving the sinner, being one myself, and really try to do so.

However, when the sinner is not one of the meek and lowly, but an arrogant Frankfurt School-type apparatchik who wants to poison the minds of children with filth, or promote abortion, or destroy the family, I am far from tolerant, and regard tolerance towards such people as culpable weakness.

As to racial intolerance, I can think of nothing more idiotic, so I guess we probaly agree.

Ttony - a very nice googly, but I hope I'm not stumped.

Point taken, but the intolerance of King Ferdinand towards the Muslim invaders of Spain, of the Pope and Don John of Austria towards the Turks, and that of King Jan Sobieski, ditto, arose, I think, from the conviction that they were 'God's Agents' and were performing His Will.

I think they were right, but am happy to be persuaded otherwise.

Good point about 'patronising'. I get peeved when liberals 'tolerate' my Catholic 'culture'. Don'tthey know about auto da Fe? Tee! Hee!

God bless you all.

Left-footer said...

Sanabituranima - Mispelled your name - sorry (slaps head).