Thursday, June 23, 2011

What is a "Catholic Christian"?

Well?

5 comments:

Thadeus said...

A term that indicates how far we are from unified Christianity, but at the same time shows we are striving toward it.

Unfortunately, many Protestants do not have the first clue what the Catholic Church actually believes or teaches and basically don't believe that the term "Catholic" is a term synonymous with "Christian."

Left-footer said...

Thadeus - thanks for your comment, with which I do not disagree.

The term "Catholic Christian" is also used by some UK Catholics to imply that the Catholic Church is part of something bigger: Christianity, and that She is therefore nothing more than Christianity with a different flavour, or a variant.

I accept nothing of the sort. The Catholic Church IS Christianity in its complete form.

Richard Collins said...

It's tautology Christopher....that's what it is.
Keep up the good work you make me feel like a Catholic once more!

Left-footer said...

Thanks Richard - I need all the encouragement I can get - God bless.

Ttony said...

Richard has this right. It's said by the sort of Catholic who is happy to define himself as "Roman Catholic" when talking to protestants. It's a clever-clever way of saying "I think what you think is just as valid as I think of what I think". As Fr Hunwicke taught us: "small, white, bony fish" (pollocks).

(I don't mind saying I'm a Roman Catholic when talking to Melkites or Greek Catholics, but I do mind when I'm talking to non-Ordinariate High Anglicans.)