When I was young, I lived in a properly organic West Country village. I refer not to the food, but the population, which ranged from retired army officers, judges and the like to ordinary oiks like me. There were three pubs, one frequented by a transvestite, usually highly rouged and dressed in a crinoline. He looked totally conventional at work.
The other two were where old Etonians and farm labourers rubbed shoulders and drank: The Commercial and The Ring of Bells.
Local streets, too, had organic names: Smith Hill, Bread Street, Heddy's Cross (a lonely and spooky crossroads, reputed burial place of a suicide).
Then, in the late 1950s, a new breed arrived. Residents - retired minor civil servants, bank managers, openly describing themselves as the "patron class", they made their way on to the village council, and things started to change. The Commercial became The Admiral Grandison. Smith Hill became Exe View Gardens. Grandison Drive appeared, to be locally nicknamed Grandiose Drive.
Forever complaining of farmyard smells, barking dogs and the like, they were not greatly loved. They made me smell blood at the back of my nose.
Years later, in that very organic town, Winchester, new, expensive housing estates appeared. One which particularly enraged me was "Teg Down Meads" (a teg is apparently some kind of sheep, as if the residents of the road would know that).
I hate tweeness, in language, manners, art, and, most of all, in religion.
Jason Arday “Found Dead”. Some Reflections Of The Unpleasant Sort.
-
I just read the news here. It’s clear what has happened as the death has
been reported as “non-suspicious”. A clue: the death of Cleopatra was also
reporte...
1 day ago
5 comments:
In Stoke Goldington, Bucks there's a "Dag Lane". I don't believe it was chosen by yuppy incomers.
You bet it wasn't. How long do you think the name will remain unchanged?
Thanks for the visit, and God bless.
It's been unchanged a while. Very sound people, in Stoke Goldington. With an odd-shaped cricket pitch,
Oh yeah--they got the road names changed too
I.R.
I deleted the verses at the end. They were, even for me, too nasty.
Post a Comment